Tuesday, September 05, 2006

R.I.P. (Requiem in Phonybrian)

by Mitsukazu Mihara
Published in the U.S. by Tokyopop



Slugline: A bored angel adopts a tainted soul as a pet, giving him a chance to redeem himself and other suicides.

Mihara is also the creator of the Doll series, (six volumes, all available now) which I enjoyed and recommend and would give four stars. Both Doll and RIP are studies in Gothic Lolita costuming, but they are also well written and thoughtful for those who are less interested in frills and platform shoes.

This is a one-shot story, so I will stick to the slugline and not give away too much of the plot. I will note, though, that despite being built on Christian ideas about angels and death, it does not take any painfully distracting liberties with them. (unlike, say, Angel Sanctuary - I still wince every time I think of Metatron as a whiny little boy in plaid.) There are some novel twists to what angels can and can't do, but I found them interesting.

RIP is an enjoyable read, with a good mix of character, worldbuilding and dialog, and I look forward to reading more of Mihara's work.



- Miranda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Requiem in PhonyBrian was a lovely manga, the art was beautiful and the storyline was wonderful, I had enjoyed it very much ^^