Thursday, January 18, 2007

Imadoki! v.1

By Yuu Watase
Published in the U.S. by Viz




Slugline: What else can bond a boy and a girl but a love of horticulture?


I don't know why I do this myself. Yuu Watase's Fushigi Yuugi was like junk
food. You know it's bad for you, but you can't help scarfing it down anyways. In my case, it was her female lead. After a while, the lead was so clueless I was hoping that the male leads competing for her attention would decide to dump her and go yaoi. But I still watched the whole series, and this was back when there wasn't a legit copy of it circulating in the US.

Imadoki! has a similarly relentlessly cheerful heroine, Tanpopo, who has transferred from a rural high school where everyone was her friend to an elite Tokyo school. She manages to almost immediately alienate everyone by claiming the standoffish Koki as friend, for they had a brief conversation about a flower the day before school started. It turns out Koki is connected to a wealthy family and has to hide his true nature, which gets Tanpopo in trouble immediately. Her relentless cheerfulness is nice at first, but by the end of the book I was getting annoyed by it. But I still want to read the next book.

Like I said, it's like candy. Bad for you, but you can't stop reading.




Imadoki! is also available from Right Stuf, Intl., an online retailer specializing in anime and manga.

- Ferdinand

No comments: