Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Genshiken, v.5

by Kio Shimoku
Released in the U.S. by Del Rey Manga




Slugline: See otaku in their natural environment try to create and sell a doujinshi!


I honestly don't know how to feel about this title. Well, maybe not the title in general, but this issue in specific. The main story of this issue is about a club of otaku making a doujinshi and getting it to a convention to sell.

I've done something similar, with all (and more, since I was putting up my own money) the pain and delight that entails. Mostly pain. Which made it difficult for me to read at times, since I winced at some scenes as I mentally projected the features of the people who I had similar experiences with. Though there was one thing that happened to the Genshiken -- a sellout of their product -- which never happened to us.

I guess the discomfort is a sign that the story rings true. A couple times the layout bothered me, but the story certainly had the ring of truth, and does give one an idea of how the con scene in Japan works.
And for giggles, here is one of the 'zines I was involved with: http://www.studentorg.umd.edu/tas/tsunami/index.shtml



- Ferdinand

p.s. For the record, I would've given it three and a half stars. The situations rang true, yes, but I don't think it's on par with Gunslinger Girl.

- Miranda

No comments: