Friday, July 28, 2006

Pastel, v. 3

Created by Toshihiko Kobayashi
Released in the U.S. by Del Rey Manga



Slugline: For a traditional fan-service-filled relationship comedy, they manage to keep things surprising.

Every time this title is about to move into standard territory, it flirts with it, and then moves away. Quite frankly, while I can tell how any particular scene is going to go once we are in it, I can't really tell which scene will be next. Which, for this type of manga, is actually kind of interesting. But while I am entertained on the macro level, the individual scenes are less interesting simply because I have seen it all before, just not in this order. I usually find fan service amusing in small doses, but these fan service titles turn me off, and I would be rating them somewhere in the one or two star territory. So this is actually pretty good for this kind of title, for me at least.

The love triangle that was set up last volume? Broken before it had time to form once the old friend realized the main characters' attraction to each other. The standard cool guy trying to move in on the girl? The girl lets him take her to a movie, then goes off by herself back to her guy. Just when you think the male lead is spineless, he goes on a maniac trip to make sure the girl is all right, bullying his friends to go with him. It would be interesting to see if he could form a spine when talking to the girl, but then this would be a very short series.



- Ferdinand

No comments: